What are cockroaches?
A major pest of the Virginia Beach area, cockroaches are garbage-eating insects that are heavily reliant on human activity. There are two primary species commonly found in the area: the German Cockroach and the American Cockroach.
- American cockroaches are believed to be the largest home infesting roaches in the world. Introduced to the United States sometime during the 1600s, these pests measure at least 1 1/4 to 2 1/8 inches long. They are easily identified by their large, folded wings and reddish-brown exoskeletons. These roaches can be easily separated from their German cockroach cousins by the figure-eight pattern on the lower half of their heads.
- German cockroaches, also known as water bugs, are light brown roaches that are characterized by a set of long antennae, six legs, and parallel stripes that run down the backs of their heads and thoraxes. They are much smaller than the American cockroach and barely measure more than ½ to 5/8 an inch at maturity. While they are quite similar in nature, German cockroaches prefer areas of high humidity and water, hence the 'water bug' nickname. However, these pests cannot live or walk across the surface of water in any way.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Roaches are universally known as significant health hazards in both residential and commercial environments. These pests coat themselves in refuse and other less desirable garbage while scavenging for food, which contains parasites and other pathogens. They spread these germs across surfaces, food items, and food prep areas, which raises your chances for exposure.
Cockroaches cause a variety of diseases that may lead to hospitalization. One of these diseases includes e. coli, a severe bacterial infection that can impact victims for days or weeks at a time. In some cases, medical treatment will be needed. Victims with allergies or sensitivities to roaches may be at a higher risk for infection or illness.
The implications of cockroach infestations are severe. Commercial businesses may face lawsuits or consumer complaints, and even lose their business licenses in certain areas. Residential homeowners may find their infestation embarrassing and discover that it is impossible to eliminate the pests on their own.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Cockroaches do not necessarily target dirty or unclean structures. These pests follow a very basic hierarchy of survival needs, including food, water, and shelter. Roaches are especially attracted to kitchens and pantries that offer high volumes of food and water without many obstacles. High levels of humidity may also attract them to certain areas, including bathrooms or basements.
Where are cockroaches commonly found?
Cockroaches can be found in areas all over the home, including kitchens, bathrooms, pantries, and laundry rooms. Roaches are more interested in infesting areas with high humidity levels and have a preference for dark, quiet, unfrequented rooms. It may be difficult to uncover a roach infestation without help. Contact the team at Mosquito Elite Pest Control for assistance with cockroach inspections as soon as possible.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Getting rid of cockroaches begins with the knowledgeable crew at Mosquito Elite Pest Control. With years of pest control experience under our belt, we know it only takes one roach to start an infestation that is entirely unmanageable by homeowners and their families. That's the reason why our team offers German cockroach clean-out services for infestations in Virginia Beach, VA.
Contact us today to book a treatment visit with Mosquito Elite Pest Control.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
Prevent pests from coming too close by implementing some prevention techniques.
- Manage indoor humidity levels. Purchase a dehumidifier for chronic areas.
- Keep food prep areas clean and secure. Store ingredients or leftovers in sealed containers.
- Clean the home thoroughly. Pay special attention to problem areas in kitchens and pantries.
Very thorough and awesome customer service.