Protect Your Virginia Beach Property From Carpenter Bees
Are you seeing big, furry bees buzzing around in your yard? If so, you may have a carpenter bee problem on your Virginia Beach property. Carpenter bees look like bumblebees, only they have an abdomen that is shiny, black, and visibly hairless. It is important to pick up on this difference because bumblebees and carpenter bees present two entirely different issues. Bumblebees can be social insects that swarm when their nests are disturbed. This can make them a stinging threat. Carpenter bees are solitary insects that don't work together to defend their nests, and they rarely sting. But, when carpenter bees visit your property year after year, they can do a lot of damage.
Our Carpenter Bee Control Process
Female carpenter bees bore tunnels that are perfectly round. A fresh tunnel will only be 4 to 6 inches long. That's not a lot of damage. But carpenter bees reuse old tunnels and make them longer. Some carpenter bee tunnels have been found to be ten feet long. When you add to this that more than one carpenter bee can attack your property at the same time, you can see why it is important to guard your property from carpenter bee damage.
There are a few ways you can make your property resistant to dangerous carpenter bees in Virginia Beach. If these bees have not gotten into your property yet, here are a few tips to keep them out:
- Apply paint to any unpainted wood. Paint is like camouflage for your wood. Carpenter bees can't detect the wood underneath a coat of paint.
- Apply a stain to wood. Some stains can make wood unappealing to carpenter bees.
- Apply metal flashing to the ends of wood planks.
- Seal cracks and crevices that carpenter bees may use to get into structures on your property.
- Move woodpiles, construction materials and other sources of wood away from your exterior.
Carpenter Bee Treatments
When carpenter bees invade, it can be difficult to get rid of them if you don't know what products to use or how to apply carpenter bee control. At Mosquito Elite Pest Control, our technicians use a multi-pronged approach.
- We do a detailed inspection to locate entry points, bee activity, and conducive conditions for habitation.
- We treat entry holes to eliminate bees and larvae.
- We seal entry holes with silicone caulking material and work hard to match the caulking color with the wood color.
- We can seal entry points in the exterior of structures to prevent continued access.
- We offer carpenter bee control as part of our year-round pest control service.
Carpenter Bee Detection
If you don't have ongoing pest control service for your property, it is important that you learn how to recognize the warning signs of a carpenter bee infestation. If you don't, these bees can do extensive damage and inspire damage from woodpeckers and other wood-damaging pests.
- Look underneath wood planks for circular entry points.
- Look for wood holes that look like the dashes and dots of Morse code.
- Listen for buzzing underneath structures.
- Listen for the crunching sound of female bees excavating tunnels.
- Watch for the appearance of big, fuzzy bees with shiny black abdomens.
Effectively Control Carpenter Bees In Virginia Beach
At the first sign of a carpenter bee infestation in your Virginia Beach property, reach out to Mosquito Elite Pest Control for an inspection and treatments. We service Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Newport News.
Superior customer service and a genuine care for the customer. These guys are awesome they will take care of all your pest