The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Virginia Beach
April 20, 2021 - Ants
It can be enjoyable to watch a trail of ants carrying food to their colony. Observing these small insects carrying large leaves or working together is impressive, to say the least. These feats of strength are much less appreciated inside our homes. If you have ever walked into your kitchen and found a trail of these pests crawling over your countertops or across the floor, you know what we are talking about. To help you get pest ants out of your Virginia Beach home, here are a few tips our team recommends you try.
What Ants To Expect Inside Your Virginia Beach Home
Not all ants invade homes. Many species prefer living outdoors and will rarely if ever come inside. Keeping this in mind, here are a few species in our area you might find crawling around inside your Virginia Beach home.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are drawn to properties with water-damaged wood, a regular occurrence here on the coast. Why do they look for water-damaged wood? To build their homes inside. Carpenter ants need softened wood in order to be able to tunnel through it. Identify one of these pests by its red, black, or red and black ⅝” long body and large head.
- Pavement Ants: As their name suggests, pavement ants prefer to live around paved areas such as driveways, sidewalks, and roadways. If these pests establish a home around your home, expect them to try to come inside. They do this to scavenge for food/water and on occasion to find shelter. Identify a pavement ant by its dark brown to black ⅛” body.
- Pharaoh Ants: The pharaoh ant is one of the few species of ants that actively carry and spread diseases. Two common diseases you might contract from one of these pests are staphylococcus and salmonellosis. Identify a Pharaoh ant by its pale yellow, 1/16” long body, and darker colored abdomen.
- Odorous House Ants: Crushing an ant isn’t the most enjoyable thing, especially when it’s an odorous house ant. These invasive food-stealing pests give off the unpleasant odor of rotten coconuts when squished. Beyond this, they are just like other area ants. Identify an odorous house ant by its brown to black, ⅛ to 3/16” long body, and unevenly shaped abdomen.
- Little Black Ants: The little black ant is the most common home-invading ant in our area. In traditional ant fashion, this pest invades to steal food and water. Thankfully, this common pest poses no serious risk to homeowners or pets. Identify a little black ant by its dark brown to black, 1/16” long body.
Some Simple Tips To Exclude Ants
Although some ants invade for different reasons, it is usually food, water, or shelter that draws these pests indoors. To protect your Virginia Beach home against troublesome ants, try these simple yet effective prevention tips.
- Make sure your home’s exterior is properly sealed.
- Address moisture issues in and around your home.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate debris around your property.
- Keep your home as clean as possible.
- Avoid leaving food out on counters. Instead, store what you are not eating inside airtight containers.
The Only Good Solution To Ant Infestations
If you regularly find ants trailing through your Virginia Beach home, it’s time to get a professional involved. At Mosquito Elite Pest Control, we offer comprehensive and long-term solutions to ant problems. From large and destructive carpenter ants to small and annoying little black ants, our team is prepared with the solutions your property needs to fight back.
Call us today to discuss your options and schedule your Virginia Beach home for a service visit.
My home was treated for rats and we haven’t had a problem since they came out to help. Great customer service and very prompt with when they come to your home.