Termites are one of the most dangerous pests because of the damage they can cause. Termite swarmers are often the first sign of a termite problem. But what are swarmers, and why can they spell danger for your Virginia Beach, VA property?
Although termites are active year-round, termite season is when they are most active and occurs when temperatures are moderate and the moisture levels are high, usually in the spring. This is when swarmers, which are winger adults, find a mate and leave their current colony to find a location to start a new one. They will usually wait until it has rained to leave their colony in search of a new one. This is why swarmers are usually the first sign of a termite problem.
Termites, What To Look For
Termite swarmers will appear in clusters. This can range from a small group to hundreds of termites. But location matters. If you see a cluster of termite swarmers on your property but not close to your house, it does not necessarily imply a problem. You might find them around a dead tree stump or a rotting wood fence. On the other hand, if you find them close to your house, this is a cause for concern and intervention.
There are several signs you can look for when it comes to termites:
- Piles Of Wings- swarmers will shed their wings once they land. You might find them on windowsills, near baseboards, and door frames.
- Outside Damage- you might find wood that looks like it has been carved out over and over. These are known as galleries, and if created by termites, they will be rough to the touch, whereas other wood-destroying pests will create smooth galleries.
- Mud Tubes- workers build tubes from the soil to wood as protection. Usually, they are made in shady places.
- Noises- if termites have infested your home, you might be able to hear noises coming from inside the walls. Termite soldiers will create a faint clicking noise if they perceive danger.
Termites are not 100% preventable, but there are things you can do to make your Virginia Beach property less hospitable.
Termites, How To Prevent Them
Termites can cause expensive and dangerous damage. It is better to spend the time preventing than repairing the damage. Your first line of defensive is outside your home. For outside, implement the following tips:
- Reduce the amount of water collected on your property by maintaining gutters and other places that hold water.
- Replace water-damaged wood-like fences, playsets, and decks.
- Clear fallen leaves, dead plants, and excess foliage.
- Keep firewood secure in a storage box.
- Remove dead tree stumps.
For inside your home, try these tips:
- Remove water-damaged wood and address moisture issues like leaking pipes and the roof.
- Seal cracks in the walls and foundation.
- Replace weather-stripping around doors and windows.
The best form of prevention is from professional help.
Termites, How Professionals Can Help
Mosquito Elite Pest Control offers a range of termite prevention services to fit your needs. Our trained and capable professionals understand how invasive, destructive, and difficult it is to get rid of termites. Customer service is our number one priority. This is why we offer a six-month guarantee. If our prevention measures fail within six months of your last treatment, we will come back and exterminate the termites free of charge!
If you have termites or are worried about an infestation, contact Mosquito Elite Pest Control for assistance with your Virginia Beach, VA property. Be sure to check our website for special pest control offers!